Sachin Tendulkar has decided to call it quits. In a media statement released through the Board of Control for Cricket in India on Thursday (today) afternoon, the 40-year-old Tendulkar said his 200th Test will be the last time he will be seen in India colours. This milestone match, against the West Indies, will most probably be held in Mumbai next month.
In an emotional statement, Tendulkar said: “All my life, I have had a dream of playing cricket for India. I have been living this dream every day for the last 24 years. It’s hard for me to imagine a life without playing cricket because it’s all I have ever done since I was 11 years old. It’s been a huge honour to have represented my country and played all over the world. I look forward to playing my 200th Test Match on home soil, as I call it a day.
Tendulkar thus ended weeks of speculation on his Test retirement. He had already quit limited overs cricket in December 2012 and the pressure to give up the longer format mounted in recent times after he failed to come good with the bat. For a man who scored a record 51 Test centuries, Tendulkar’s last hundred came against South Africa in Cape Town in January 2011. In 198 Test matches, Tendulkar, regarded the greatest batsman of his generation, scored 15837 runs at an average of 53.86. He slammed 67 fifties and an unbeaten 248 against Bangladesh in Dhaka in December 2004 was his best ever.