Sachin Tendulkar’s farewell speech – on Nov 16, 2013 at Wankhede stadium, Mumbai, India
* Friends please settle down, I’ll get more emotional! It’s hard to believe my wonderful journey is coming to an end.
* I have got a list of people to thank because sometimes I forget.
* I would like thank everyone who has made this possible.
* Its getting little difficult to talk but I’ll manage.
* I would like to thank my father. Without his guidance, I don’t think I would be standing here. He told me never to take shortcuts and never give up. And above all he told me to be a better human being.
* Every time I held my bat up, it was for my father.
* I thank my mother for taking care of me and praying for me. A big thank you to my mother for all the sacrifices. I don’t know how she managed a naughty child like me. She just prayed and prayed from the day I started playing the game.
* I’d like to thank my aunt and uncle who fed me while I was living with him.
* To my siblings for their encouragement, advice and support.
*My eldest brother Nitin doesn’t like to talk much but he said, ‘whatever you do, I know you will give 100 per cent’. My first cricket bat was presented to me by my sister Savita. It was a Kashmir willow. She still continues to fast while I bat.
* My brother Ajit has lived this journey with me. I don’t know how to thank him enough.
* The most beautiful thing that happened to me in my life was in 1990 when I met my wife Anjali. She took a backstep from her career as a doctor and she looked after my family. Thank you for bearing with me. You’re the best partner.
* Two precious gems of my life Sara and Arjun. I’m sorry for missing your annual day, sometimes your birthdays. Thank you for understanding that. I know for 14-16 years I’ve not spent enough time with you. But I promise you that the next 16 and the many more after that are yours.
* I’d like to thank my in laws and my friends.
* In the last 24 years my friends have made terrific contributions. They have been with me while I was stressed. They have been with me even at 3am when I was injured. Thanks for being there for me
* My cricket career started when I was 11, turning point came when Ajit took me to my coach Ramakant Achrekar.
* I would like to thank the Mumbai Cricket Association for taking care of me.
* For 29 years my coach Achrekar has never said ‘well played’ to me as he thought I would get complacent. I was extremely delighted to see Achrekar sir in the stands. I used to ride on his scooter and play two matches a day. Sir took me along to make sure I played.
* You are like my family away from home…my teammates. I know you will serve the country effectively. I have full faith in you guys.
* It is going to be difficult not be part of the dressing room, not to share the special moments
* I thank my physios, doctors for keeping me fit. My first manager, Masceranhes for all his support and encouragement.
* I understood what it requires to play for the country. I understood the gravity of it. Thank you to everyone who shared my vision.
* I thank the media for supporting me. I thank all the photographers as well for all the wonderful photographs.
* Lastly, i want to thank all the people here who have flown from all over the world for supporting me. Whether it was a zero or a century, you’ve always been there for me. You guys have fasted for me and done many other things. Memories like these are going to stay on with me forever. Thank you being there for me. I would not be the person I am if it wasn’t for you.
* I’m sorry if I have forgotten someone. Goodbye.